Friday 10 May 2013

Poetry Slam Friday: Calling All Poets




I know it's Mother's Day on Sunday, but here is a poem I wrote about my dad. To be honest poetry is a bit of an enigma to me. I want to like it but often the words appear tortured and jumbled? I wrote this poem when I was at a fiction writing course with, Dame Fiona Kidman. She liked it, thought it suitable for a family type magazine, so that was enough endorsement to go public.

If anyone wants to post a dad, or a mum poem, in the comments please do.Go on...


Dad's Poem



I never really liked the books
my Dad read to me at bedtime
those James Herriot vet stories
all hedgerows and country lanes

but I loved the sound of his voice
like icy water over river stones

and I loved the weight of him beside me
on my bed not my sisters

emanating warmth through those
resonating words falling from his mouth

chapter after chapter
night after night.

                                                       *                    *                     *

Yay for Dads. And yay for Mums on Sunday and everyday.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you, However I am
    having issues with your RSS. I don't know why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody having identical RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer can you kindly respond? Thanx!!

    Visit my weblog :: priory.Mrooms.Net

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

We Need To Talk About Harry

  I was the only nearly 59-year-old woman wearing a silver sequinned tube dress and pearls at the Harry Styles concert at Mt Smart stadium l...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...