Friday 26 September 2014

Finest Homemade Baked Beans




Homemade Baked Beans

If you are looking for a simple, healthy and delicious 15 minute meal read on.
You will need to:
Chop, then sweat in a dollop of olive oil: 1 Carrot, 1 onion & 2 stalks of celery.
Next, add 1 can of chopped tomatoes in puree, half a teaspoon of crushed chilli paste (optional) & 2 tablespoons tomatoe paste. Cook until mixture is nice and concentrated.
Finally, add 1 can of mixed beans and heat through. I used Ceres Organics, which has a mix of chickpeas, pinto beans, red kidney beans and white cannellini beans.Once the mixture has bubbled turn off, add a grind or two of black pepper and some fresh parsley and serve.

I often eat this dish, by itself, on Sunday evenings feeling very virtuous. Feel free to add a shave of parmesan, a dollop of sour cream, serve on rice or with that posh ciabatta bread drizzled with olive oil and grilled gently.
Can freeze and reheat for lunch later in the week.

note: You can add a half teaspoon each of - ground cumin and ground coriander, at the veg sweating stage for a more mexicano flavour. Bon appetito!

For loads more reasons why you'll feel extra bouncy after eating beans read this article.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com


5 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'm virtuous about my beans too - there's something about them isn't there? I just boil them in the crockpot and I freeze big batches in small pots. Then I add them to vegetables and noodles, all cooked together. I like the sound of making my own baked beans though. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was as organized as you Yvette! I sometimes wonder how long I could eek out what I have in the fridge/freezer/field should a holocaust eventuate? Some hangover from a haunting childhood TV series... There's a children's book idea! Mine mine mine.

      Delete
  2. Wow this looks delicious and similar to a greek beans dish-so tasty and healthy too! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! This bean mix is also good for vegetarian tacos, with guacamole and sour cream & cheese of course!

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

We Need To Talk About Harry

  I was the only nearly 59-year-old woman wearing a silver sequinned tube dress and pearls at the Harry Styles concert at Mt Smart stadium l...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...