Friday 30 April 2021

Ask This Writer a Question & She Will Answer

 

mates

 

Favourite thing about the Michael King Writer's residency?


I had a lot of favourite things. One particular highlight for me was the Tuis in the birdbath! I wasted quite a bit of time watching this afternoon pool party from the writer’s hut. I even cleaned the window so I could take photos without disturbing their fun. One of my quests in life is trying a take a fantastic photo of our native birds. I now have many pool-shots to sort through. One day there were five Tuis in the bath at once, with two rosellas waiting nearby. Five!



What are you reading during your stay when you are not writing?


Buying books is an occupational hazard. I bought four while I was here. I also brought a pile with me to read when I was taking a break from writing. Because my project was a middle-grade novel I read two children’s books. ‘Skunk and Badger’ by Amy Timberlake, illustrated by Jon Klassen. And ‘The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone’, by Jacyln Moriarty. I would recommend both these unusual tales for curious young readers. 


I bought ‘The Strays of Paris,’ by Jane Smiley (from Paradox Books.) I love Jane Smiley. This book is written from the point of view of a racehorse who runs away and hooks up with a stray shorthaired pointer. The back cover blurb promises to celebrate the intrinsic need for friendship, love and freedom. It sounded like the-incredible-journey for grownups. The set-up is great. I’m only a couple of chapters in. 


UK author Meg Rosoff has always been a favourite author of mine. I bought her latest, ‘The Great Godden’ (from the Women’s Bookshop.) While at the very convivial book launch of my writer buddy, Sue Copsey. Sue writes fabulous, modern retellings of Tudor history under the pseudonym, Olivia Hayfield. ‘Sister To Sister’ her latest, has been on the bestseller list for weeks! It was a buzz to be in a great indie bookshop crowded with kiwi writers supporting kiwi writers.


Anyone who’s ever loved a drop-dead gorgeous, overly charming, yet allusive young man will appreciate TGG. Initially.



What do you like to do when not writing?


I was a florist once upon a time. I still grow peonies. I love foraging around hedgerows for interesting plant material to use in flower arrangements, or for making wreaths. 


Walking is the perfect thinking time for me. I walk most days along the Shotover River, below our property in Queenstown, with our super energetic Huntaway. Often plot problems are solved or new characters pop into my head. I just hope no one can hear this mad, striding woman talking to herself!


I did a lot of research walks around Devonport during my residency



Describe what your ideal writing space looks like?


The Writer’s Hut was the perfect writing space for me. At home, my studio is at the top of our house. It’s a very small space, accessed through a secret door. A bookcase. The room is cluttered with books, lots of treasures, my children’s art from forever, an oak desk, computer, chocolate (secreted in drawers) and an armchair for reading. I paper the walls with character bios and detailed maps of my WIPs setting. Each time I tidy and rearrange this space I cannot start work until its messy again.



What’s the strangest thing you’ve had to research online for your book?


My new children’s novel is set in speculative Victoria times so I did have to look up a lot of details. 

‘Was writing paper scarce in 1879’. 

‘When were fireworks invented’. 

‘Did they have pancakes in 19C Britain’. 

‘What is the tool used to press wax seals’. Answer: seal. 

‘Term for feminist Victorian women.’

‘Victorian horse hoof polish with tar odour. 


This last search proved fruitless and led me to Twitter. Where a hearty discussion took place amongst many helpful, horsey people. Stockholm Tar. Neatsfoot oil.


Sometimes faffing about on social media is not a waste of a writer’s time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

We Need To Talk About Harry

  I was the only nearly 59-year-old woman wearing a silver sequinned tube dress and pearls at the Harry Styles concert at Mt Smart stadium l...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...